6 Ways A Hot Tub Makes Living With Rheumatoid Arthritis Easier.
Rheumatoid arthritis, which affects 1.3 million adults in the United States, is believed to be an autoimmune disease, resulting in the immune system attacking the tissues that line the joints. It is three to five times more common in women than men so the prevalence in women seems to suggest that genetics and hormones may play some role in the cause. Regardless of who gets it and why, RA is a dibilating, painful condition.
Physicians recommend weight loss, exercise, joint protection, paced activity, stretching, and positive attitudes to help patients ease the terrible pain of rheumatoid arthritis. The best place to practice all of these strategies is in your hot tub.
Here are the top 6 ways that hot tubbing can make living with rheumatoid arthritis easier:
• Exercise. Strengthening muscles can relieve pressure and pain for nearby joints. Exercising in your Hot Spring Spa helps in two major ways: buoyancy supports the joints and muscles to avoid pain, and water resistance makes the movement more effective.
• Joint protection. Your movements in the hot tub feel weightless because you’re practically floating in the water. Water takes away the downward pull of gravity which causes so much pain.
• Pacing activities. Breath awareness meditation in the water helps you put aside the distracting clamor of daily demands and experience the moment, relieving stress and enabling you to face calmly each day’s tasks.
• Stretching. Simple stretching exercises can increase your flexibility, especially if you enjoy them in the warm water that supports you while you stretch. Check out our easy stretching exercises for the hot tub.
• Positive attitude. If you want to feel invigorated, let the top-speed jets of hot water pound you for about 10 minutes. If you want to feel happier, exercises in the hot tub will release endorphins, your body’s natural feel-good chemical. If you want to mellow out, relax in the warm water for 20 to 25 minutes.
Always check with your physician and follow directions. You might find out that a Hot Spring Spa from Olympic Hot Tub is just what the doctor ordered to help you manage rheumatoid arthritis effectively.
And just what your doctor may prescribe for you if you suffer from RA.
Photo from www.webmd.com