One of the best things about August? The Perseid Meteor Shower from your hot tub!
August 7, 2020 – One of the astronomical highlights of the year arrives in the heavens next week! The annual show put on by Perseids will be on display between August 11th and 12th. And, of course one of the best ways to take in such a stunning display is from your hot tub.
Unlike many of the events we see in the night sky, Perseids is a gem because it’s easy to view with the naked eye, easy to spot multiple meteors in a short period, and can be seen nearly everywhere you look.
Here are some tips to optimize your Perseid Meteor experience:
- Play some soothing inspirational music on your hot tub’s Bluetooth music system or other wireless device.
- Keep all light pollution away! This means turn all outdoor lighting off. Lights inside the home should be off as well to eliminate any extra brightness that could spill out through windows. All other electronic devices should be set aside and turned off! And be sure your hot tub lighting is off as well. The darker the environment, the better the sky show.
- Head out to the tub by 10:30 p. and get your jet massage in before the time meteors will start streaking across the sky around 11:00 p.m. You’ll be able to relax and be ready to soak in silence (or with your choice of music) for the show.
- Remember to bring out something cool to drink. You’ll need to stay well hydrated to take in the meteor parade as long as possible! If your tub has a cool down seat, sit up out of the water periodically to help you cool off as needed.
- If you’re in the Northwest, current weather forecasts call for partly cloudy skies. Exhibit patience and give any clouds time to pass by to allow you to spot as many meteors as possible.
- If you’re in the tub with others, have a meteor spotting challenge! See which of you can spot the most meteors in a fifteen minute period. (I’ll leave it up to you what the winner will get as a prize!)
- Allow yourself extra time to enjoy the show, enjoy nature, then turn off any music and enjoy some peace and quiet. With all we’ve been dealing with this year, your mind, body, and soul will thank you for a much-deserved escape.
You should have the chance to see plenty of Perseids between 11:00 p.m. Tuesday night into 1:00 a.m. Wednesday morning. Enjoy!
Author: Don Riling
Don Riling is the President of Olympic Hot Tub and has been an active member of the hot tub industry for over 27 years. As the company’s owner since 2016, he has continued Olympic’s legacy of promoting health & wellness through water.