Five ways to make the hot tub your family gathering spot
October 18, 2019 – It’s hard to make time to get together with other family members these days, isn’t it? Everyone is busy, it’s hard to tear kids away from their friends, social media, their phones…I’m sure there are plenty of other things I’ve not thought of you parents out there could easily add to the list.
One place that’s a heckuva lot easier to get your clan together is the hot tub. In all my years in this business, I’ve not found too many people that don’t enjoy time soaking, relaxing and having fun in a tub.
Here are a few ideas that could help you get everyone together and stay connected.
- Establish a ritual of an all-family meeting in the hot tub each week. Pick a time where you’re likely to have the lowest number of potential conflicts. Is it Friday evening to kick off the weekend? Saturday afternoon or evening? Sunday to start out a new week? Make it a no-phone zone and collect phones in a basket before heading out to the tub. Get each family member to share a “happy/crappy” for their week. This is actually something that one of my fellow hot tub dealer friends started with us a number of years ago. You go around and share one thing that made you happy. The goal here is to get everyone sharing recent experiences or moments that gladden your heart. You can choose to share a “crappy” if you truly have one. I will confess most of the time we don’t always have a crappy to share. I will also confess that half the time one or more of us are in tears (glad tears!) by the time we’re through.
- Schedule individual time with one of your kids in the tub. I’ve heard some refer to a hot tub soak as “truth serum”. It’s so true! There is something about getting into hot water, allowing your body the chance to relax, and getting endorphins produced. Where before you may have just gotten a “Fine” out of your son or daughter when you ask them how their day was, you may now discover they will open up and share a lot! It’s good for them, and it’s great for you.
- Celebrate birthdays and incorporate the hot tub. It’s a big day for kids. Why not make it special by letting them invite friends over to have a hot tub soaking party before opening presents and cutting cake? Make it goofy fun too. Dole out a rubber duck or other fun hot tub toy to each kid who arrives for the hot tubbing experience. (It would make an awesome pic for Instagram too!)
- Kids who participate in sports, cheer or other group activities would likely welcome a victory party to celebrate a win! Why not make the hot tub part of the festivities? Especially if it’s after a game, any kids out there playing sports or leading those cheers can absolutely reap the health benefits their bodies would need to deal with any sore muscles and dispense with lactic acid.
- And, for the special someone in your life, it’s a terrific getaway from everyone and everything else and get a chance to reconnect with each other. Make it a date night. Surprise someone with flowers sitting out at the tub, chocolate covered strawberries, and more. Get some of your favorite music playing on your tub’s Bluetooth music system (hopefully you have one!) or another Bluetooth speaker to help set the mood and set you both up to enjoy each other’s company. So many rarely make that special time we all can benefit from as human beings.
I hope this will spur you on to think of unique ways you can make the hot tub your family get-together retreat. It will do all of you a world of good!
Author: Don Riling
Don Riling is the President of Olympic Hot Tub and has been an active member of the hot tub industry since 1995. As the company’s owner since 2016, he has continued Olympic’s legacy of promoting health & wellness through water.