Happy Earth Day! Discover all the ways Hot Spring Spas are absolutely the “Earth Smart” hot tub
April 22, 2019 – Earth Day is here, and with it the stark reminder that we get one world to inhabit. Mother Earth has given an amazing gift to us humans, and we have a long way to go to even partially repay what we enjoy. Earth Day started back in 1970 to raise awareness on the things we need to do to help reduce carbon footprint and preserve our precious resources.
Hot tubs in general are not viewed as necessarily eco-friendly. That, however, is a myth that needs to be dispelled when it comes to Hot Spring Spas! As a company focused on providing a product that will enhance our health and wellness, they long ago recognized it should also minimize its impact on our environment to keep it healthy and happy too.
2019 marked a major leap forward for Hot Spring Spas. They took their premier line of Highlife Collection models to a new level, and many of the improvements also make a major statement on being as “Earth Smart” as a hot tub can be! Consider these features:
- All wood has been removed from the substructure of the tubs and has been replaced with a polymer product made of recycled materials.
- Each features Tri-X filters, an innovation Hot Spring brought to market 15 years ago! Standard in all 2019 Highlife Collection models, these terrific filters not only improve filtration for cleaner water, they also last 4-5 years, eliminating more frequent filter replacements. (That means fewer filters being tossed in the trash.) Did I mention that they’re also exclusive to Hot Spring Spas?
- The FreshWater Salt System has a lot going for it on the eco side. Using salt to create and sanitizer for the water eliminates the need for a lot of bottled chemicals with a lot of fillers. This in turn means your water can last longer. With proper attention you may need to perform an entire water change only once a year! That saves thousands of gallons of water over the life of the tub. The cartridges used in the system are also recyclable.
- There still is no other brand of hot tub more energy efficient than a Hot Spring Spa. They are the only manufacturer to enlist the aid of a third party to conduct energy testing on their product. Based on the reality of daily use, the study took into consideration using your hot tub for at least a half hour six times a week, with the jets running part of that time and soaking the rest. Even with energy costs rising over the time I’ve worked in the industry, it is still often less than $20-25 a month to use a mid-sized Hot Spring Spa designed to seat up to 6 adults! Hot Spring makes an energy calculator available on their site to make sure you can check out what the operating cost for one of their tubs would be in your area.
- How do you get to the point of that energy efficiency? By employing the use of high-density foam; LED lighting that with incredibly low energy consumption; utilizing the SilentFlo circulation pump to do the heating and cleaning of the tub 24 hours a day—using less power than a 40-watt bulb! They even have patented pump shrouds on jet pumps to use part of the heat generated from the pumps to heat the tubs, rather than relying on the heater to do that work entirely on its own.
That’s just a few of the many things Hot Spring has done to increase the green footprint of Hot Spring Spas.
Now, you might say, “Hey that’s great. But what about the manufacturing side?” Guess what? They’ve done much to tackle that as well. Here are just a few examples:
- They have the ability to create their own energy on site as needed through their own generators at their manufacturing facility.
- They use enhanced water systems that help save over 1 million gallons of water each year!
- They recycle over 2.5 million pounds of materials a year and work continually to create ways they can reduce waste even further.
- Hot Spring is a member of the U.S. Green Building Council.
Overall, Hot Spring’s durability is like no other brand of tub out there. It’s a treat to hear from customers that have owned our tubs for 15, 18, 20+ years that are still providing them with terrific soaks day after day, month after month, year after year. Add to that the strides they’ve made to be the “Earth Smart” spa? It makes it easy to decide on a Hot Spring Spa as the best brand to own!
Happy Earth Day from Olympic Hot Tub!
Author: Don Riling
Don Riling is the President of Olympic Hot Tub and has been an active member of the hot tub industry for over 20 years. As the company’s owner since 2016, he has continued Olympic’s legacy of promoting health & wellness through hot water & sauna therapy.