5 Ways A Healthy Sauna Sweat Improves Your Skin
The American Academy of Dermatology has declared November Healthy Skin Month so we’ll remember to take care of our largest organ. Your grown-up birthday suit weights about eight pounds and covers about 22 square feet. Researchers are finding that regular sauna sessions of up to 20 minutes can help keep your skin in top shape.
And, who doesn’t want beautiful, younger looking skin?
Here are 5 ways a sauna benefits your skin:
1. Deep cleanser. Deep sweat washes away dead skin and bacteria while flooding the skin with essential nutrients and minerals to maintain collagen structure, avoiding wrinkles and even fighting acne. “Sweating is a way of energizing the skin almost the way exercising a muscle energizes it,” says Dr. Ben Douglas, a University of Mississippi Medical Center professor and author of Ageless: Living Younger Longer.
2. Face brightener. Sauna heat boosts your pulse rate by at least 30 percent, doubling the amount of blood the heart pumps, and the skin temperature rises to about 104°. That increase in circulation explains the rosy glow in your complexion, says Dr. Debra Luftman, a dermatologist.
3. Stress relaxer. Along with better circulation, the heat relaxes muscles and stimulates endorphins, the feel-good chemical that gets you glowing inside as well as out.
4. Infection fighter. Research in Germany has found that sweat contains dermicidin, a protein that fights bacteria like strep.
5. Natural moisturizer. Another study in Germany found that regular sauna use “leads to a more stable epidermal barrier function, an increase in stratum corneum hydration as well as a faster recovery of both elevated water loss and skin pH,” according to Medical News Today. The stratum corneum protects lower levels of the skin, and damage at this level can alter pH at the surface that could lead to infections or damage.
For best results, cleanse and moisturize your face and body when you finish your session. The sauna’s heat can dry the skin, so stay out if you have sensitive skin or some skin conditions. As always, check with your doctor if you are unsure about a sauna’s benefits for you.
With all these benefits for your skin, the sauna can make you look as good as you feel. Check out the Finnleo line of saunas at Olympic Hot Tub and sweat your way to that healthy complexion. Come in to any of our 5 stores and try one & you’ll feel the difference in your skin.
The Good Sweat starts with a Finnleo Sauna from Olympic Hot Tub.
More on the benefits of sweat for a healthier skin: