What constitutes being healthy during a pandemic?
July 14, 2020 – Over the weekend, a graph was shared with me regarding what is considered most important to being healthy globally in 2020. The results were based on an international survey conducted by Euromonitor International.
The survey results showed that mental well-being had overtaken the #1 spot in importance for being healthy. Given what the world has been dealing with this year, that’s no big surprise!
As I went down the list and looked at the remainder of the top five, it struck me that regular hot tub soaks would help with every one of them! Take a look:
- Mental well-being. Soaking in hot water helps with serotonin production, the chemical produced by the brain associated with happiness and well-being. Spending time soaking outdoors in nature is an added bonus, as it’s documented that time in nature helps with serotonin production too.
- Feeling good. This seems like a no-brainer. There’s a very good reason that most human beings utter an “Aaaaahhhhh!” when they immerse themselves in hot water. It feels not just good, it feels great! The other reason it will make you feel good? Immersion in hot water helps your body release dopamine, your body’s naturally produced “feel good” drug.
- Sleep hygiene. Not only does increased serotonin and dopamine production help encourage better more restful sleep, hot tub soaking will enhance that even more. By raising your body’s core temperature with a hot tub soak about an hour before bedtime, your body’s cooling off afterwards signals the brain that it’s time to sleep. You’ll find yourself not only falling asleep quicker, but you’ll descend into that all-important REM sleep even faster.
- Absence of disease. While a hot tub can’t exactly guarantee this, it can absolutely help your body’s immune system ward illness off. Because a hot tub soak raises your core body temperature, it induces a false fever. A false fever gives your immune system a boost to help combat colds and other illnesses. You’ll also benefit from increased circulation and give your skin’s pores a chance to open up and expel toxins, both terrific to help your body keep sickness at bay.
- Emotional well-being. Again, for me this is a no-brainer. Spending time soaking in a hot tub does wonders for we humans. Soaking allows you to commune with nature, gives you a chance to disconnect from all the “ick” in our daily lives and reconnect with ourselves, as well as give us some much-needed time to reconnect with loved ones. Playing music while soaking also soothes your soul.
The benefits of hot tub soaking are so well documented! Over the past five months, it’s been so wonderful to see how many people are seeking out hot tubs for their own home. It creates a safe haven that we all certainly deserve right now. If you’re in our service area and ready to explore the benefits of your own hot tub, check out our entire line of Hot Spring Spas. We’ll help you find the perfect tub to help you feel healthier every day.
Author: Don Riling
Don Riling is the President of Olympic Hot Tub and has been an active member of the hot tub industry for over 27 years. As the company’s owner since 2016, he has continued Olympic’s legacy of promoting health & wellness through water.