Hot Tub With A Good Book: 5 Tips to Make Hot Water Reading Easier
February 6, 2014
Grab your rubber duck, caffeine of choice, a good read and you’re set. It’s time to celebrate National Read in the Tub Day on Sunday.
Why just February 9th? Why not read every day in the hot tub?
If you’re like me, you’ve dropped many a good book in the water. Here’s the scoop on hot tub reading to make it easy to relax, read and keep your reading material dry while you soak:
1. WRAP YOUR KINDLE IN A PLASTIC BAG. For those of you who are afraid of dropping it in the water or getting it wet (a real concern), a zip lock plastic bag will keep your Kindle dry. It may be a little hard to read through the plastic. Good thing you can adjust the type size!
2. GET A WATERPROOF TABLET COVER Here’s an easy and inexpensive solution: get a waterproof tablet cover so that you can make better use of your time in the hot tub and enjoy the time more besides!
The Waterproof Case for the iPad & iPad Mini by DryCase is a flexible, crystal clear waterproof bag that allows complete use of your iPad while keeping it dry and clean. Simply pump out all the air with the easy to use hand pump and the bag will vacuum seal around the iPad and become completely waterproof. The airtight seal guarantees that the iPad will stay dry even when submerged underwater. Every DryCase comes with a neoprene activity armband for water sports, and is crystal clear so pictures can be taken through it while using the other side. What could be better?
3. GET A WATERPROOF SMARTPHONE COVER Forget serious reading and take your Smart Phone out to the tub with you for some serious browsing, talking & catching up on emails. The Waterproof Case for the iPhone by DryCASE is a flexible, crystal clear waterproof bag that allows complete use of your iPhone while keeping it dry and clean. It is so clear you can take photos through it!
4. DO THE OVER THE SIDE TWIST. You can put your book or newspaper on the deck surrounding the hot tub and twist around to read it. Not too much fun and uncomfortable for a long read.
5. GET WATERPROOF BOOKS. In 2004, Charles Melcher patented the Durabook, a process for making waterproof books. His company, Melcher Media, published “Poolside” ($14), an immersible collection of short stories by Ernest Hemingway, Joyce Carol Oates, John Cheever and others. Durabooks makes some great waterproof books some featuring short stories by noted authors as well as some spicier tales.
The best one? “The Beach Book” with stories set on beaches. This book is like a mini-vacation.
You may never leave the tub! Warn your significant other that you may develop prune-toes.
SANUM PER AQUA. As the Romans said it Health through Water.
6 MUST HAVE HOT TUB ACCESSORIES FOR WINTER
MORE ON OTHER MUST HAVES TO MAKE HOT TUB READING EASIER…
HOT TUB FASHION WEEK-EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW TO BE FASHIONABLE WHILE HOT TUBBING
HOT TUB FASHION WEEK FINALE-HATS FOR THE HOT TUB
HOT TUB FASHION WEEK: FOOTWEAR FOR THE WALK TO THE HOT TUB
Author: Don Riling
Don Riling is the President of Olympic Hot Tub and has been an active member of the hot tub industry for over 27 years. As the company’s owner since 2016, he has continued Olympic’s legacy of promoting health & wellness through water.